Thursday, May 31, 2012

Genealogy Research and Brake Job on the Vue

We left the campground this morning about 9:30 and drove down to the Columbia County Library in Evans. Mike dropped me off at the library and then drove down to the Goodyear Tire in Martinez to have the tires balanced and rotated.

I was really in for a surprise when I got to the Local History and Genealogy books in the library. There was just 1 row of shelves - quite a big difference from the library at the Edgefield Historical Society where there was so much information it was almost overwhelming.

I did find a little information on my Youngblood ancestors - actually it was not so much information as new leads for doing research. I did find a brochure for the Augusta Genealogical Society and I went their website and they have a huge library. But their library isn't open again until Saturday - I'll have to decide if I want to go there on Saturday.

Mike called me every so often to update me on the progress with the tires and it turned out
that the pads needed to be replaced and the rotors turned. Our total came to $285, but we had read reviews about this Goodyear Tire shop and the reviews were all good.

It was after 1:30 before Mike came back to the library to get me. We drove back towards the Goodyear Tire shop to go to a Mexican restaurant, Salsa's Bar and Grill, that the guys at Goodyear Tire recommended.

Mike ordered the Cheese Steak Burrito with rice and beans and I ordered the Chicken Fajita Burrito and we both had sweet tea for a total of $19.00. My burrito was excellent, but some of the steak in Mike's burrito was tough.

After leaving Salsa's we stopped at a Publix to get some items that we hadn't been able to find and Kroger or the Publix closest to the campground. My shopping was a success - not only did I find the items I needed, but some were on sale! It seems lately that we're always having to stop at a grocery store everytime we're out and about.

We got back to the campground about 3:30. Tinker was happy to see us and he reminded us that his lunch was late - AGAIN!

We suddenly realized that we hadn't made any reservations for the July 4th holiday. I went online to check the availability at some of the Thousand Trails Preserves and Coast to Coast campgrounds. The campgrounds were either booked up for that time or were closed because of special events at the campgrounds. We've come up with some alternatives, but will have to wait until tomorrow before we can call to see if anything is available.

We are supposed to have some thunderstorms come through here tonight and then more sometime later tomorrow. So I think we will just stay here tomorrow. There is a museum near here we haven't been to yet, so we need to go there on Saturday and maybe to the Augusta Genealogical Society Library on Saturday morning.

No comments: