Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Research at Family History Library

Yesterday was our first full day here at the Great Salt Lake State Park and it rained all day. We did go out to do some shopping at a Wal-Mart near here and had lunch at a Five Guys before coming back to the trailer.

Today was sunny and really nice. I drove into Salt Lake City to do some research at the Family History Library. I parked at a parking lot in the block just north of the Library for $5 for the day. Unlike other pre-pay parking lots I've been to where you put the paid ticket on the dash, this one needed the license number. So I walked back to the car, took a photo of our tag and went back to pay. Then I looked on my receipt and it said it wasn't necessary to put the receipt on the dash. Great - except I had left my laptop in the car, anticipating having to return to the car to put the receipt in it. So another trip to the car to get my laptop before crossing the street to the Library.


I had already checked on the layout of the Library and had decided to do my research in the U.S. books section which is on the 3rd floor. The busiest section of the 3rd floor was the Library's computer section, but there weren't too many people using the tables. I spent about 4 hours going through books on Kentucky, Illinois, Kansas and Tennessee. I did find some information, but I didn't break any of my "brick walls". However, I now know that the information I was looking for isn't in those books (I hadn't found it online either) and I will have to find it elsewhere. 

Even though I didn't find anything substantial, I had a good time and look forward to returning - we're already thinking about another trip west, just not in the immediate future.

While I was at the Library, Mike helped the tent campers in the next campsite. It was a mother with her teenage daughter and elementary age daughter. It was their first camping trip and they had trouble getting
a fire started and Mike helped with that. Then the youngest daughter's Cinderella battery lamp needed new batteries and Mike replaced them. 


Before we left Matt and Merilee, they gave us some spaghetti sauce and I fixed that tonight for dinner. Actually there is enough for two nights' meals, so we can have it again tomorrow  night - love leftovers. Thanks again, Merilee and Matt!


No comments: