Monday, March 11, 2019

We're in Sunset, Texas with Heavy Rain, Thunder & Lightning

We forgot to set the alarm last night and slept in until 7:30. It was overcast and 52° with a wind chill of 42° and there was a forecast of rain for today. We plugged in the small electric heater to take some of the chill off while we had breakfast. Just as Mike went out to start breaking camp, it started to sprinkle.

The little bobtail cat showed up this morning and walked with me over to the dumpster and back to the RV. She tried several times to jump into the back of the Pilot while we were putting stuff away. 


It was 9:30 and sprinkling when we left Southern Living RV and got back on to I-20 West. It was still 52° but the wind chill was now 47°. A few minutes later we entered Texas and I missed getting a photo of the "Welcome to Texas" sign because I was checking the weather on my phone.

We passed by this picnic area on I-20 and I managed to get a photo. I had forgotten that Texas had picnic areas on highways and this one has oil derricks as covers for the picnic tables.


We stopped at 11:00 at a Pilot station at Tyler, TX to get gas and paid $2.629 a gallon. We stopped at a Rest Area at 11:30 to have lunch. We had sandwiches and potato salad and sat in the trailer to eat lunch since the temperature was still in the low 50's.

Then this pink Bunny caught my eye on I-20 near Canton. It's part of the Yesterland Farm attraction there.


We exited I-20 West east of Dallas and got onto I-635 North that took us around Dallas and to I-35 East which we took north to Denton and to US-380. We stopped for gas at an Exxon station at Alvord and paid $3.199 a gallon.

We took US-380 west to Decatur and then US-287 North to Sunset, Texas. We arrived here at Sunset RV
Park at 3:00. Sunset RV Park is a Passport America member and we paid $12.50 for our campsite here which is half the regular rate of $25.


We are in site 2 which is a pull-through and somewhat level. We did need to drive the curbside trailer wheels onto a board to get level. 


The office worker is very friendly and nice and told us that tonight's forecast is for heavy rain and also for tomorrow. We were originally supposed to be in site 1, but it was muddy and we asked to change to site 2 since it was mostly gravel and not muddy. He asked where we were spending tomorrow night and when I told him Amarillo and Oasis RV Park, he said that he had been there and that it was a very nice place to stay.

We've had dinner (sandwiches & potato salad) and are watching some Babylon Five DVD's that we brought with us. I tried to tune in some local TV stations, but there are none. After supper I caught up on the last few days bookkeeping and expenses.

We had a little rain about 20 minutes ago and it's 55° and raining hard with some thunder and lightning which aren't too close to us yet. As Tinker has gotten older, he gets nervous during thunderstorms, so we'll see how he does tonight.

No comments: