Thursday, March 7, 2019

Tinker's Encounter with a Chicken

We got up this morning at 7:30 and it was 39° and no wind. So it wasn't too cold when I walked Tinker first thing this morning.


Since the campground office was closed when we came in yesterday, Mike walked up there this morning after it opened and paid the $28 we owed for our campsite fee (we had put down a $20 deposit to reserve the site).

Mike then started breaking camp and talked with the couple in the RV next to us. They were from Canada and he and Mike ended up talking about camping and RVs and he even helped Mike break camp. 

After I had put things away on the inside, I got Tinker and took our garbage up to the trash cans. Then I walked to the front of the campground office to take a photo, 


when a large chicken ran out from the bushes and startled Tinker. This was Tinker's first encounter with a chicken. I was going to take a photo of the chicken with my phone, so I put the handle of the retractable leash between my legs and that's when Tinker took off running
and barking after the chicken - across the street and along the side of the road dragging his leash behind him. I'm yelling "No, Tinker!!" and hurrying (I don't run anymore) after him. Then the chicken jumped across a small ditch and ran into the woods, and that was when Tinker stopped and I could get him and took him back to the RV. And no, I never got a photo of the chicken.

By the time we left the campground, it was 11:00 and we stopped at a RaceTrac by the campground and got gas ($3.039 a gallon) before going north on I-95. I checked our Next Exit book and found out that there was a Five Guys a couple of miles south of where we were to get on to I-295 and we decided to stop there for lunch. It was 12:30 by the time we had lunch and then walked and fed Tinker.

Then it was on to I-295 and then west on I-10 to Deerwood Inn and Madison Campground. There was a Mobil gas station at the same exit as the campground, and we stopped there for gas ($3.099 a gallon) instead of doing it in the morning. We arrived here at 3:00 and checked in. This is the 4th time we have stayed here. It is a Passport America campground, so we only paid $24.31 which is half of the regular camping fee.


We're even in the same campsite that we had the first time we stayed here. It's a grassy site and pretty level, so we didn't need to use our leveling blocks. We met the couple in the site next to us and they are from Quebec and we talked with them about their travels out to Arizona.


We drove 147 miles today from St. Augustine. It's been nice having 2 short driving days, but the next several days will be farther and longer. 

No comments: