Sunday, July 15, 2012

Traveling from Richmond to Colonial Beach

We got up this morning at our regular time at 8:00 and after coffee and breakfast, began to break camp. We stopped at the dump station and emptied our holding tanks and hitched up the car. We left the campground a little before 11:00 and drove east to I-95 and then north on I-95 through Richmond.

We passed by the Phillip Morris USA

From Richmond to Colonial Beach

and the Virginia Holocaust Museum.

From Richmond to Colonial Beach

At I-95 exit 104 we exited onto SR-207 east and we were glad to be off of I-95 since the last 12 miles or so on I-95 had been very rough and bumpy. We continued on SR-207 until it connected with US-301 to Bowling Green, VA.

After passing through Bowling Green, we entered Fort A. P. Hill Military Reservation. We detoured off US-301 to go through the Fort A. P. Hill Main Gate to drive out to Champs Camp RV Park to look at it. We will be spending a week there after we leave Colonial Beach.

From Richmond to Colonial Beach

After driving through the campground, we headed back towards the Main Gate and found a
place to park where we could fix lunch. After a 20 minute stop for lunch, we left Fort A. P. Hill at 12:30 and continued east on US-301. We'd been driving for about 10 minutes when we passed this Historic Marker for the place where John Wilkes Booth was cornered and killed.

From Richmond to Colonial Beach

After driving about 15 miles we turned east onto SR-3 and stopped at the Shell gas station and got gas in the RV ($3.199 a gal). We drove another mile east and turned north onto SR-664 and then turned left onto Ebb Tide Road to Harbor View Campground which is a Thousand Trails Preserve.

We arrived here at Harbor View at 1:50 and stopped at the campground office. We went in to register and were greeted by Jan. While Mike was registering, I went in to the laundry room to check it out. The machines cost $2 a load, so I got 2 rolls of quarters while we were in the office.

Jan took Mike and I for a drive around the campground in a golf cart to look at the campsites that were available and we decided to take site B26. We returned to the RV back at the office and then drove over to our campsite and got set up. The sites are somewhat narrow, but we were able to position the motor home so we could get both slides out.

We have full hook-ups (50 amp elec). The campsites are in a grove of sycamore trees and Mike was able to find a break in the trees where we are able to receive a satellite TV signal. After hooking up to the water supply, Mike said that we didn't need a pressure regulator since the water pressure is so low (about 30 psi). The water pressure isn't the only thing that is low here, our satellite signal isn't the best and our Verizon 3G service comes and goes - mostly goes. This could make updating our blog and web albums difficult.

Our cell phone signal seems to be weak and my sister-in-law, Elaine, called and left a voice mail tonight at 10:30. I had my cell phone next to me and it never rang or notified me that I had a voice mail. I found out about the call and voice mail when I happened just now to check my phone.




No comments: