Friday, July 6, 2012

Aviation Historic Park

This morning I gathered up our laundry and Mike drove me up to the campground laundry. While I was doing laundry, Mike drove down to the Military Aviation Museum. When we had visited the museum last month, Mike had wanted to buy a Spitfire spinner lawn ornament

From Military Aviation Museum, Virginia Beach

that we saw by the museum's entrance but the gift shop was out of them. Mike called the gift shop this morning and they had gotten in more spinners, so he drove down to purchase one. Mike called me when he was leaving the museum and said that some of the museum's planes were being flown - too bad he didn't have the camera!

I took my laptop to the laundromat and worked on my genealogy while doing our laundry. The laundry is located in the same building as the campground office, so it is air conditioned. The washers and dryers cost $.75 each and work well.

Mike stopped at the gas station at the BX on his way back from the museum and got gas in the Vue ($3.189 a gal).

After lunch we drove on base to visit the Aviation Historic Park and look at
the 13 Navy aircraft on display there. Some of the aircraft had plaques with information about them, but several of the plaques were missing.

From NAS Oceana

From NAS Oceana

While we were taking photos a couple of F-18's flew over head and Mike got a couple of photos.

From NAS Oceana

After taking photos of the aircraft we drove over to the base gas station (Mike wanted to check on windshield fluid) and saw a Tim Horton's next door. We haven't seen a Tim Horton's since we were in Canada last year. So, of course, we had to stop and buy something. Mike got a couple of apple fritters and I got a couple of chocolate iced donuts.

After making a couple of purchases at the gas station, we went back to the RV and I have to admit, Mike ate both of the fritters and I ate both chocolate donuts.

I didn't feel too bad about eating both donuts since I was going to the commissary to buy groceries and it isn't a good idea to go grocery shopping when you're hungry - right? We're leaving here on Sunday, so I wanted to stock up on some things since we're near a commissary.

It was another hot day - our high was 93° with a heat index of 105°, and we really felt the heat today when we were at the Aviation Historic Park.

No comments: