Saturday, June 16, 2012

Genealogy Research

I left the campground this morning about 9:30 and drove the 28 miles down to the Olivia Raney Local History Library to do more genealogy research. Mike said he would stay home and do a few things around the RV while I was gone.

I arrived at the library at 10:15 (I had programmed the route into our Garmin gps) and found a place to park the car under some shade. I signed the library's guest book and set up my laptop on one of the large tables. I found a lot of information on Utley marriages and abstracts of Utley wills, probate papers and estate sales. The abstracts just list where the wills, probate papers and estate sales are recorded in county record books and all the names of people mentioned in each one. The actual wills and records are on microfilm at the library.

The library closes at 2:00 on Saturday and I ran out of time to look through all of the abstracts. I did start a list of records I want to look at on microfilm and Monday will go back to the library and look through the rest of the abstracts for more records to view.

I called Mike just before leaving the library and he had sent me a text message. I had the cell phone set on vibrate while in the library, but it didn't vibrate to alert me to the text. Anyway, Mike said we needed a few things at the grocery store before I went back home.

I stopped at Krogers and bought some things we needed before going home. Later on I fixed spaghetti for dinner and heated some Artisan garlic bread I had gotten at Krogers today.

After dinner I worked on catching up our blog since I didn't work on it while we were visiting with Jean and Joe in Wilmington. I preferred to visit with them and catch up on the blog later.

We do have a weak 4G signal here and then every so often my phone would switch to 3G. I decided to disable the 4G on my Droid Bionic and just use 3G and my internet connection is much faster and more reliable now. We should have a stronger 4G signal when we go to Virginia Beach next week and I will re-enable 4G then.

No comments: