Saturday, July 23, 2011

Moose walked through our campsite!

Yesterday we did some shopping in Anchorage and I got a few groceries at the Commissary.

I needed to wash the comforter on our bed and the one we use to cover the couch, so I drove off post to go to a laundromat. I had found one about 2 miles from the base and was on my way there when I saw another laundromat even closer. I pulled and went inside to check it out and found out it was much cheaper than the one I was originally going to.

I paid $3.50 for a large washer for each of the comforters and the dryers were 6 minutes for a quarter. The laundry I had intended to use cost $4.25 for a large washer and 3 minutes for a quarter! It ended up costing me $11.25 for the 2 comforters, not too bad.

Then I went to the McDonald's just up the street and took my laptop in to use their wi-fi. After ordering a soda, I found a booth and got out my laptop. I had a LOT of photos to upload to our web albums and update our blog. I was there for 1½  hours, but I got a lot accomplished.

While I was gone this afternoon, Mike climbed up on the roof and cleaned our solar panels. Then he worked on getting ready for our departure on Sunday. He put away our barbecue grill and took up the outdoor mat and stowed some other stuff we wouldn't need before we left.

At 6:40 tonight Mike was watching TV and I was reading a book, when I looked up and saw a moose walking past our RV! As soon as I said "moose", Mike jumped up, grabbed the camera and ran out the door. But by then the moose was crossing the road behind the RV and heading towards a marshy area not too far from the FamCamp.

From Elmendorf AFB

Once across the road the moose did turn a little and it looks like he's watching Mike to see if he's going to follow him.

From Elmendorf AFB

In the meantime Tinker was having a fit and barking for all he was worth - he wanted to get the moose. We took Tinker outside a little later and he had a good time smelling where the moose had walked through our campsite and he wanted to follow the scent towards the road.

No comments: