Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Seibert to Aurora, CO

I forgot one thing in yesterday's post. When I was fixing lunch yesterday I noticed when I opened a bottle of mustard that pressure had built up in the bottle. I had forgotten that we were climbing higher as we traveled west and that unless I released the pressure building up in the bottles and jars we would have a mess on our hands. So every time we stopped I would open any bottle or jar that had already been used and release the pressure building up in it. I did this in the refrigerator, pantry and bathroom. I did forget a bottle of Tinker's shampoo in the bathroom cabinet and ran down inside the cabinet when the pressure built up in the bottle.

We did forget about the Sleep Number bed and the rise in elevation. We forgot to reduce the air in the mattress. Our numbers are 40-45 and this evening it registered 100 - we were lucky it didn't damage the bed.

Sometime during the night the rain finally quit and when we got up this morning the temp was 47°. We even used the electric blanket last night and heat this morning! Since it was raining when we got here yesterday, Mike just hooked up to the electric box and we used the water in the fresh water tank. Mike take photos this morning of the campground.

From Colorado

We left Shady Grove this morning at 9:20 and stopped at a Flying J on I-70 at Limon, CO and paid $3.789 a gallon. Another motorhome was in the lane next to us getting propane and filling up with gas and I noticed they had Florida tags. It turns out they were from Marianna, FL - small world! They were going to Grand Junction, CO for the NJCAA National Baseball Tournament to watch the Chipola College Baseball team compete.

After leaving the Flying J we decided to take the scenic route on SR-86 instead of staying on I-70.

From Colorado

From Colorado

From Colorado

We traveled through the small towns of Kiowa,

From Colorado

and Elizabeth.

From Colorado

We turned north on SR-83 to Aurora and Cherry Creek State Park. We arrived here at Cherry Creek at 12:30.

From Colorado

We had already made reservations for the campground, but had to pay $9 a day for a park pass for the motorhome at the state park entrance. The campsite is $26 a day plus a reservation fee of $10. We will be here for 3 days. We had originally made the reservation for 2 days and then added a 3rd day, so that was another $10 reservation fee.

We checked in at the campground office and received a map of the campground. There is a new laundry here and it is supposed to be open tomorrow - guess what I'm doing when it opens!

We are in site #136 and it is really nice - the whole park is great. We have full hookups (50 amp), a concrete pad which is mostly level and a nice patio area. We'll have to take photos tomorrow.

After lunch and setting up the RV, we called the main post office in Aurora and found out that our mail was there at General Delivery. We drove up to the post office, stopped at a car wash and washed the Vue, went shopping for dog food at a Petsmart near the state park. We passed a Mexican restaurant, Casa Vallarta, and since it was 5 p.m. stopped there for dinner. Mike had the Burrito Manadera and I had the Burrito & Chili Relleno along with a couple of Negro Modelo beers. We even received a couple of complimentary sopapillas for dessert.

We made an appointment for Tinker to get bathed at Petsmart tomorrow morning - he's kind of gray instead of white. He is having a hard time adjusting to the difference in the time zones - he thinks we should be getting up at 6 a.m. because his body is still on Eastern time and it feels like 8 a.m. to him.

1 comment:

Kristin Prahl said...

Hi Sue and Mike! My name is Kristin with Sleep Number's Digital Customer Service Team. It really looks like you had a great trip. I love all of the small towns you see along the way to your destination, they are so intruging. I noticed you forgot to drop your Sleep Number settings; don't worry I think we all have done it once. The good thing is that the air chambers as made out of the stuff white water rafts are made out of of, so they are pretty strong. I love that you say Tinker is still on East Coast time! My dogs know when bedtime is, and if I'm not there, they are sure to let me know. I hope you enjoy your road trips, and sleep well.