Saturday, May 28, 2011

Aurora, CO to Cheyenne, WY

We were up a little after 7 a.m. and it was 48° again this morning. There are still a few empty campsites here, but I'm sure they won't be this afternoon. We left Cherry Creek at 10:15 and headed north on E. Parker to I-225 north to I-70 West then north on I-276 to I-25 North. We were able to see the Denver skyline when we were on I-70 and I-276, but every time I had a clear view of the skyline the road was rough. I did manage to get a photo of the skyline, but it isn't as good as I had hoped to get.

From Colorado

When we were about 40 miles north of Denver, we saw a sign for a Starbuck's and decided to stop there to get some coffee. There was a large vacant parking lot across from Starbuck's and I went into get coffee while Mike turned the RV around in the parking lot. By now my breakfast had worn off and I got a couple of their Old Fashioned Glazed Doughnuts to go with our coffee. When I got back in the RV and checked the time, I realized it was 11:30 - almost lunch time. Mike called Terry Bison Ranch to confirm our reservation there for tonight.

We stopped for lunch at 12:15 at a rest area at Ft. Collins, CO. We saw this sign stating that they allowed parking there for 12 hours.

From Colorado

We saw a motorhome there that was obviously taking advantage of the 12 hour stay - their slides were out and their tow car was disconnected.

We were back on the road at 12:40 and passed by the Budweiser Brewery at Ft. Collins.

From Colorado

About 15 minutes later we noticed a plane towing a glider above the interstate and then it released  the glider. I was able to get a couple of photos of this.

From Colorado

The terrain in northern Colorado is very different than that around Aurora & Denver where there were a lot of trees. Here it is open plain for miles.

From Colorado

We did see an unusual sign for an interstate warning of bicycles being on the right shoulder.

From Colorado

We crossed into Wyoming a little after 1 p.m. and took Exit 2 off I-14 and went back south on the I-25 service road for about 2 miles to arrive at Terry Bison Ranch. Terry Bison Ranch is a Passport America member, so our campsite for tonight costs $17.58. We are in site #77 with full hook-ups (50 amp). The site is mostly grass and some gravel and we were surprised to find out that the RV is almost level. We drove 108 miles today and once we were settled in, Mike and I both took a nap this afternoon.

From Wyoming

From Wyoming

Terry Bison Ranch started out as a ranch for raising bison and has over the years developed into quite an attraction. There is a restaurant, gift shop, horseback riding, and train rides to view the bison herd. In addition to the campground there are cabins for rent.

From Wyoming

The farther north we drove today the cooler the temperature became. By the time we got to Terry Bison Ranch it had gone from 65° to 50°. Then about 7 p.m. tonight it started to rain. Right now it is 49° with occasional rain.

No comments: