Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Spending the Night at Compass RV Park

We were up early this morning because we wanted to get an earlier start than usual. Several RVs left this morning while we were breaking camp. I put stuff away inside the trailer while Mike emptied the black and gray water tanks, disconnected from the water and sewer connections. Then we hitched the trailer up to the Pilot. It must have been about 8:00 when we left the campground and got on to I-10 East.

There was a lot of traffic on I-10, but it was moving fairly well. There were reports of gas stations in Florida having problems getting gas deliveries or were completely out. So we decided to stop only at truck stops for gas and I would check on Gas Buddy to check the gas situation on the truck stops ahead on our route.

We stopped at Love's at Cottondale, FL at 11:00 and got gas for $3.199 a gallon. We decided to eat lunch there and we both had the chicken tenders. Tinker stayed in the car with the A/C running and the doors locked and we brought him a few pieces of chicken from our lunch.

Traffic started slowing down the closer we got to Tallahassee and I took a photo around 1:30 near Quincy, FL.


I took a photo an hour later when we were just west of Lloyd, FL. We had driven 36 miles in that hour.


Traffic seemed to improve some when we passed the exit for I-75. I remember on our way west I looked at I-75 and it looked more like a parking lot. Today it was a little better, the traffic seemed to be moving albeit
slowly. We stopped for gas at Love's in Lee, FL at 3:30 and paid $3.199 a gallon for premium. 

We continued east to Jacksonville to I-295 and south on I-95 - still in heavy traffic. We arrived at Compass RV at 7:00. We drove 419 miles today and it took us 10 hours including our stops for gas.

We are on site 36 which is a pull-through and we have full hookups and cable TV. Compass RV is a Passport America member so instead of paying $45 for tonight, we paid $22.50 plus tax. The campground came through the storm fairly well. They  have a lot of trees and they were cleaning up the debris, but they had people stay here and there was no damage to any RVs. 

Mike and I both looked at each other and said it would have been great to stay there during Irma instead of the 2 long days over to Robertsdale and today's long drive here.

We left the car and trailer hitched up for tonight. We just had sandwiches for supper - no pasta salad, that was gone - but I had bought potato salad at WalMart to have. We're just relaxing and watching TV and looking forward to getting home.

I didn't get any photos of our campsite here, I'll take them in the morning.



No comments: