Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Looking at Old Family Photos at Jimmy & Sally's

Jack fixed us another great breakfast this morning - biscuits and sausage gravy. Yummy! Breakfast was especially good this morning because the temperature was 34° with a wind chill of 28° when we got up this morning.


We all just lazed around the house this morning and caught up on email and I entered our trip expenses in Quicken. 

This afternoon we drove over to Jimmy and Sally's house in separate cars in case Mike and I wanted to stay longer and visit more. Frances and Jimmy's sister Eva drove over this morning from Troy, IL to be there when we visit. 

Sally had fixed lunch for all of us and as usual everything was great. We had barbecue pork sandwiches with all the fixings, potato salad, baked beans and of course, dessert. Shortly after lunch, Jimmy brought out several photo albums for us to look through - I think there must have been about a dozen albums. The four of us (Frances, Eva, Jimmy and myself) sat on the sofa with the albums in front of us. Mike took a photo of us and he said something funny and snapped a picture as all four of us were laughing. I wish I could remember exactly what he said, but can't.



We started looking through the albums and some of the photos were taken before any of us had been born. I saw photos of my parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles that I hadn't seen before and didn't have copies of. Thank goodness for smart phones - I took photos of the pictures (and the names on back) with my iPhone.

After a few hours, Mike and Jack decided to go back to Frances & Jack's house for some
serious nap time while Frances and I stayed longer.

We finished looking through the photo albums about 6:00 - we all had enjoyed looking through the photos and talked about the memories that the photos helped us to recall. 

Just before Frances and I left to go back to her house, I took a photo of Eva, Frances, Jimmy and Sally.

Once we got back to the house, we all were ready for dinner and Frances and I heated up the leftover Italian Pot Roast and vegetables from Sunday. It was just as good, if not better, as it was on Sunday.

We had a really good day today and I will always cherish it. A few months ago Jimmy wasn't feeling well and went to the doctor. After several tests he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and it was Stage 4 and given a life expectancy of 12 to 18 months. He started chemotherapy a few weeks ago and goes to St. Louis every other week. He is enrolled in a drug trial there and so far has only had a few side effects from it. One is cold sensitivity on his fingers and lips, so he really has to be careful about cold beverages and glasses (ice cream, of course). He said those side effects wear off just before his next chemo treatment and that's when he can eat ice cream (wish he really likes) and drink iced tea without any problem.

Oh yes, our temperature today warmed up to 57°.





No comments: