Sunday, June 14, 2015

Mike's birthday & a malfunctioning computer


Wednesday we had 4½" of much needed rain. I'm still working on the Florida Pioneer Descendants application and documentation. I didn't get to work on it last week while Symphony and Dot were visiting - we had a good time and it was a welcome break from working on the application.

I not only have to have proof of birth, marriage, and death for all direct descendants, but also prove Florida territory residency for Mike's 3rd great-grandparents and 2nd great-grandfather. Then I have to list and number each document chronologically and by generation and enter that number by the event it corresponds to on the descendancy chart. I can use census records or other types of records for birth and marriage if no certificate exists, but then I have to have 2 documents to substantiate that fact. I have most of the documents I need, but I'm still missing a few records.

Saturday was Mike's birthday and Fletcher drove up to spend the weekend with us. We went up to the theater in West Melbourne to see the movie Avengers: Age of Ultron to watch it in 3-D and on the Imax screen. After the movie, we stopped at 5 Guys for hamburgers and fries which is what Mike wanted to have for dinner. Fletcher left Sunday morning to go back home.

I started having problems with my 17" Dell laptop last week and it got worse over this weekend. I'll be working on something and then the screen will go black and I can't get it to

do anything. I have to turn it off with the power button. It will start up again, but then after a while the screen goes black. Well, now it won't do anything!! So tomorrow I'll take it into a local computer repair shop and see what is wrong. I'm afraid that it is dying (if not already dead).

I started researching Dell laptops and the ones that I am interested in have bad reviews. Fletcher is a big Apple fan and I've been looking at them too. The laptops are really expensive compared to Dell's, so I'm considering a desktop with a large monitor.

I'm using our old Dell laptop (which we bought in 2003) to check email and go on the internet. Thank goodness, I use Carbonite to back up my laptop so my data has been backed up in case the 17" laptop is toast.


 

No comments: