Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Learning to use an iMac for the first time

I've been spending the last 2 weeks getting used to my new computer. I am going through a learning process with the Mac operating system. I bought the Mac version of Quicken and am working with it and the Windows version I've used for years just to see which one I prefer.

I decided to take the iMac in to the computer shop and have them install Parallels and install Windows 7 on it (I still had the original disks that came with the laptop). They also transferred my data from the laptop's hard drive and everything is working great.

We have had computers for YEARS - our first one was a Commodore 64 in the early 1980's and then we "upgraded" to a computer named The Clone made in Texas - yes, that really
was the name of the computer and company. We later upgraded again and bought our first Dell. Over the years we have upgraded some of the internal hardware in the computers and had no problems and had no problems. But I just felt more comfortable having the tech at the computer shop do the work just in case there was a problem.

I did buy a Super Drive (DVD drive) and a 3T external hard drive for backup. After using the Mac keyboard, I bought a Logitech solar keyboard with a number key pad - I use the number key pad a lot with my Quicken and genealogy program and I really missed not having it on the Mac keyboard.

I did manage to finish filling out the application for the Florida Pioneer Descendants Certificate last week in spite of being without a computer for a full week. I used our old Dell laptop we got in 2003 to check email and did online banking.

I REALLY love the 27" monitor - it's especially great when I have my genealogy program open on one half of the screen and ancestry open on the other half.

No comments: