Monday, August 8, 2011

Black bear walked through our campsite

It was still raining this morning when we got up and 48°.

After lunch we drove into town to go to the library and wi-fi. Valdez Glacier Campground is near the Valdez Airport which is 6 miles east of Valdez. We spent a few hours in the library and stopped at the Valdez Visitor Center to look for some brochures on the area.

We got back to the campground at 5:00 and drove around the campground taking a few pictures. It was still raining and had warmed up to 52°.

We stopped by the bald eagle nest, but I couldn’t get a clear photo of the nest up in the trees. We’ll try again tomorrow now that we know exactly where the nest is located.

We saw this cascade near one of the campsites.

From Valdez Glacier Campground

While I was on the phone talking with my sister-in-law, Elaine, I saw this rabbit outside our RV. It must have been someone’s pet and gotten loose, it definitely isn’t a wild rabbit and I’m surprised it has survived with the bears that are in the area.

From Valdez Glacier Campground

Speaking of bears – I was sitting on the sofa at 7:15 and looked out our screen door just as a black bear walked through our campsite. He walked right over our outdoor mat about 3 feet from our steps.

I was saying “bear, bear” in a low voice to Mike, as I ran to get the camera. By the time Mike got to the door and I got the camera, the bear had already walked through the bushes and left our campsite – no photos! After the bear was gone, Mike took Tinker outside and Tinker immediately smelled the bear and started barking and growling.

I kept looking for the bear and I saw it coming back through the bushes towards our campsite, but Tinker started barking and the bear turned and went around our campsite.

Mike is carrying our can of bear spray (pepper spray) when he walks Tinker tonight. We’ve always been careful when bears are in the area where we’re staying, but we will definitely be even more careful here checking for bears before we go outside.

No comments: