Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mackinaw City, MI to Gaylord, MI

This morning we left Mackinaw Mill Creek RV Park at 10:30 a.m. and headed south on I-75. It’s only 65 miles from Mackinaw City to our next stop in Gaylord. We stopped at a rest area about 13 miles south of Mackinaw City for about 30 minutes so we could make some phone calls. Mike called Beaver Creek RV Resort in Gaylord to see if we could arrive earlier than the 3 p.m. check-in since we’ll be there about noon, but they said no since we were going to be there about 3 hours before check-in time.

We arrived at Wal-Mart Supercenter at Gaylord at 12:15 p.m. I made sandwiches and we ate lunch. After lunch I went into Wal-Mart to buy groceries. We left Wal-Mart a little after 2 p.m. and drove over to the Shell station on the corner and got gas in the RV ($2.919 gal). Then from the Shell station we drove the 5 miles out to Beaver Creek.

We arrived at Beaver Creek about 3 p.m. and checked in. We are staying here with our AOR campground membership ($10.56 a night). The owners were very helpful in telling us about Gaylord and what sights we should see. They recommended Gobbler’s Restaurant for a really good turkey dinner. They said we really had to visit the elk herd that the city of Gaylord maintains.

We are in site #39 with full hookups (50 amp). We have an asphalt pad (fairly level) and a view of the pond.

From Gaylord, MI

From Gaylord, MI

We’re waiting for our friends, Symphony and Al, to get here, so we’ll be here for 13 days. We called a dog groomer in Gaylord and made an appointment for Tinker on Thursday to be clipped and bathed.

I tried using our Verizon aircard and got a warning that I could be charged as much as $20.48 a Mb if I continued – ouch! I called Verizon and told them about the warning I had gotten when I tried to use the aircard. I told them where we were located and I was told that since we were so close to the Canadian border they couldn't guarantee whether I would be charged or not.
Tomorrow I’ll go up to the adult lounge to use their wifi service and catch up on email.

No comments: