Sunday, July 2, 2017

Sudden Trip to Illinois

Last year my first cousin Jim was diagnosed with esophageal cancer and was going to begin chemo therapy. Mike and I drove up in April of last year for a visit with Jim. We stayed with his sister and her husband and their older sister drove over from St. Louis. We had a great time going through Jim's family photo albums and it was a great trip.

I got a call from Jim's sister Frances yesterday and she said that he wasn't doing well and that the hospice nurse said that he only had a day or two. Frances called me this morning just before 9:00 and said that Jim had died earlier this morning. She wasn't sure when the funeral would be - just sometime this week. I started mapping our trip up to Illinois and checking on motels on our route. I called Frances back at 10:00 and told her that we were going to leave this afternoon and would be up at her house sometime late tomorrow.

I went online and stopped our paper and mail delivery for this week. Mike called our next-door neighbor and he said he would pick up any papers or mail in case it was delivered. 

While I was packing Mike went to WalMart to get gas ($1.959 a gallon). We left that house at 2:00
Sand headed north on I-95. We stopped at a Dunkin Donuts for coffee at St. Augustine. We got on I-10 at Jacksonville and stopped at 6:15 at a Burger King at Lake City for supper. Then we headed north on I-75 to Tifton, GA. I had tried to find a La Quinta motel somewhere on our route, but they were either farther than we wanted to drive tonight or not far enough.

So we are at the Super 8 here in Tifton. We got in here at 8:00 after driving 378 miles. We paid $82.69 for the room which included the pet charge of $10. La Quintas don't have an extra charge for pets and that is one of the reasons we prefer to stay there.

No comments: