Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Dinner with Friends, Christmas and Happy New Year

We got a call earlier this month from our friends Barb and Bill inviting us for dinner. Barb owns the house across the street from us which she and her first husband lived in. Barb and Bill live in his condo in Vero on the beach. They occasionally come up to Barb's house to have some work done or just to check on it and stay for a day or two.

We went down to their condo on the 20th. Their condo looks directly out onto the Atlantic Ocean and we sat out on the balcony and had drinks before dinner. Barb had fixed a spiral-sliced ham with a glaze, tossed salad, asparagus and baked sweet potatoes for dinner. Everything was excellent - the food and especially the company. We always have a good time when we get together with Barb and Bill. Bill is a very young almost-90 year old and Barb is a little younger.

Mike and I decided to have our eyes examined again and chose to go to the Center for Advanced Eye Care in Vero. Our appointments were on the 23rd and Dr. Mallon performed the examinations There was only a slight change in my eyes since I had them examined in September and not enough to require new lenses. I was referred to the optical department to see if my glasses needed to be adjusted. Dean adjusted my frames higher and the left part of the frame was farther out from my face than the right frame and he adjusted that - which made a big difference in the way everything looked now.

Mike had had cataract surgery on both eyes a few years ago and Dr. Mallon said sometimes a second surgery is needed to improve vision due to the back membrane on the lens implant becoming cloudy and that is the problem Mike has been having. So Mike was scheduled for his first laser surgery on Dec. 30th.

We had planned to spend Christmas with my brother and family in Kissimmee, but my niece Kathy and her family has come down with the flu. So Mike and I spent Christmas here and I cooked a turkey breast and fixings for our Christmas dinner.

Dec. 28th was our 47th wedding anniversary and we went out to dinner at Squid Lips. I ordered my usual meal, Citrus Salmon, and Mike ordered the Grilled Chicken Breast with Honey Lime Sauce and we shared a piece of Mocha Swirl Cheesecake.

The 28th is also my brother's birthday and he was 88 years old. My nephew David is sick and my sister-in-law Elaine has come down with a cold, so we won't be visiting with them for a while.

We are having a quiet evening at home tonight and we can hear some people in the neighborhood shooting off firecrackers. We'll stay up to usher in the New Year and that will be it for us.

Happy New Year Everyone!

No comments: