Thursday, May 7, 2009

Richmond, KY to Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH

  Last night the rain continued and there was quite a lightning storm. I was sitting up reading after Mike went to bed and there was a lightning strike nearby (it looked and sounded like it was in the parking lot) - I decided then it was time to go to bed!

We got up earlier than usual so we could leave Wal-Mart by 8 a.m. to go over to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Last night I looked on Google Earth to check on the parking for Cracker Barrel and we found a place alongside the road that we could pull off and park the RV. When we got there it was just like I had seen on Google Earth and we were able to park there easily. There wasn't room in the parking lot in the back of Cracker Barrel for us to park the RV.

We were back on I-75 a little after 9:00. I used our Next Exit book to locate a Saturn dealer and a Petsmart store along I-75 in Florence, KY that were close together. We stopped at the Saturn dealer to buy an extra fuse for the Vue (this is the fuse we remove when we're towing the Vue); we've wanted to have an extra on hand just in case we lose or something happens to the one we have.

We then drove over to Petsmart to buy a bag of dog food for Tinker. I had used our Verizon modem this morning to check Petsmart's sale ad and they had $5 off a bag of Tinker's food! Usually we go into Petsmart to buy something and what we buy isn't on sale, so our Pet Perks card doesn't help us.

So we're back on the road by 11:45. We arrived here at Bass Lake Campground at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base at 1:30. I had already entered the route through the base to the campground, but the guard at the gate told us a more direct (and less winding) way around the flight line to the campground.

After getting the RV setup I walked over to the laundry to check it out. They have 3 washer and 3 dryers (1 dryer was out of service). The washers are $1 for a load and the dryers are $.50 a load. That was the same price as when we were here 3 years ago. I went back to the RV and gathered up a couple of loads of laundry and did them this afternoon.

We're on site 13 with full hookups (50 amp). Since we're only staying the night here, we didn't unhitch the car.

From Ohio, May 2009

Mike put out the awning to let it dry from all the rain we've been in and discovered that the latch that locks or releases the awning was not locked. Fortunately the bracket that we have on the awning to keep it from opening worked. Several stretches of I-75 were extremely rough and we think that the latch may have been "jiggled" loose.

Today Streets & Trips "lost" the gps after about 2 hours; I rebooted and it was okay for about 2 hours. Then it "lost" the gps just as we exited I-75 north of Dayton. I didn't reboot the laptop then because I needed to refer Streets & Trips for the route we needed to take to get to Bass Lake Campground.

No comments: