Tuesday, March 10, 2015

March Genealogy Meeting & FL Pioneeer Descendants Program

I attended the March meeting of the IRGS (Indian River Genealogical Society) in Vero Beach today. Part of our meeting is called "Member Share" and I spoke about how I found on the internet 3 college papers that contained information on Mike's 3rd great-grandfather Silas Fletcher. I had learned how to specify what I wanted to find on Google search at our Valentine Seminar last month when our speaker was Lisa Louise Cooke. Several years ago Mike, Fletcher & I had visited Indian Key where Silas and his family had lived and the young lady who took us by boat to Indian Key had written a college paper on Silas! But I didn't think to get her name or any info about her paper. So what I learned at the Seminar not only helped me locate her college paper but 2 others that written about Indian Key and Silas and his family!

Our speaker at the meeting was Clyde Stickney and he gave a talk on researching at the county courthouse. Clyde spoke with me after our meeting and wanted to know if I had
considered submitting Silas Fletcher to the Florida State Pioneer Program by the Florida Genealogical Society. I said I had thought about it, but hadn't done anything on it. Clyde is a member of the Florida State Pioneer program committee for the FL Genealogical Society and really encouraged me to apply to the program. Then another man (also a member of the FL Genealogical Society) came up to me and said that I needed to submit Silas into the Pioneer database.

I've downloaded the application paperwork to see what all I need to do for the Pioneer Certificate program and it's a LOT. Now I'll have to see what documentation I do have and find out what documents I'll need to locate which could be tricky since Silas and his family lived on Indian Key starting in 1824. 

No comments: