Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Sue's Part Time Job

I mentioned in my last post about some changes we were contemplating with getting another RV. So now I have another major change. Our son Fletcher called to say that the medical practice he works at in Ft. Lauderdale is looking to get a new bookkeeper. That the person who had taken over for the long-time bookkeeper had messed up the financial records and would I be interested in taking over the books. He said it could be arranged that I could do the accounting remotely from home.

So long story short - Fletcher drove up on the 21st and we drove down to his house on the 22nd. Then on  Monday I went in to work with him and met the doctors and started learning about their bookkeeping system using Quickbooks. They switched from using Quickbooks on their computer to using Quickbooks Online and I can access their records from my home computer. So I spent the rest of the week learning their record-keeping process and getting used to using Quickbooks. There is someone in the office who will handle the daily deposits and check writing and anything else that has to be physically done at the office. 

I've been retired since May 2006 and it's been a long time since I had to get up in the morning and go to work! But I enjoyed working with the staff (who are all younger than me) and getting to watch our son while he was working. 

I took my laptop with me and set it up to use with their system and I will use it to do my work on. I think Fletcher thought I was bored being retired and that this would give me something to do! Just from what I've seen that needs to be corrected on their books, I have my work cut out for me. I think my "part-time"
job will be a full-time one for a while until I get everything fixed and posted correctly.

Fletcher drove me back home last Saturday and we all went out to eat at the Sandwich Shack for a late lunch or early dinner, before Fletcher drove back home. 

Our genealogical society is having a 6-week class called How to Begin Your Family History Research and Pam Cooper is leading the class. I missed the first class last week that covered Getting Started and Libraries. This week's class on Tuesday was on Census Records. I've been researching our family history for over 30 years, but I thought it would be good to go to Pam's classes as a refresher course. The fee for the entire course is $10 and Pam is so knowledgeable, that it's always fun and informative to listen to her - plus I may (will) learn something new or something I've forgotten.

No comments: