Thursday, June 30, 2016

Mike's knee surgery & some Landscaping

The first half of this month we had cousins visit and Mike's doctors' appointments for tests prior to his knee surgery.

On the 16th we went to Sebastian Medical Center to attend "Joint Camp" in preparation for Mike's surgery. We were given a run-through on what to expect during Mike's stay before and after his knee surgery and about the physical therapy he would receive after the surgery. We were also told about what items we would need at home after he came home from the hospital - a walker, a chair for the shower, etc.

This last half of the month has been almost as busy. As I mentioned in my last post, Mike's cousin Mary Lynn from California had to replace the stove in her rental house in Melbourne. So on the afternoon of the 21st we drove up to her house and met the appliance company that was delivering the stove and the plumber who was doing some work on her house.

We had bought some new plants for our front flower bed and it was now apparent that Mike wouldn't be able to help me plant them and put down the mulch. Fortunately, Angie's List had a special on landscaping for 2 men for 4 hours for $259 and we've made arrangements for a company come next month to do the work. I've placed the new plants in their pots in the front flower bed where I think I want them planted. 



We did move the Lady Palm from the front flower bed where it was getting too much sun
over to our side lot where it would get less sun and more shade.



Also the orchid that Fletcher gave me months ago has bloomed again and it's gorgeous!



Mike went in to the hospital on June 29th and had his left knee replaced. He will be there until July 1 hopefully and can come home. He has physical therapy in the morning and afternoon. I am his "coach" and I assist him with doing his exercises during the therapy sessions. There are about 6 other patients in with us in physical therapy - some with knee replacements and some with hip replacements. The hospital kitchen brings in lunch each day for the patients and their coaches. It's been meat and cheeses for sandwiches with pasta salads, vegetable salads, chips, fruit and cookies or some other sweets. The food is good and everyone is hungry after the morning PT session - even us coaches! Then in the afternoon after the PT session is over, I generally come home for dinner and Tinker is always glad to see me. He does real well since I'm gone from about 9 in the morning until I get home about 5 or so. 


No comments: